Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Four tall beers later

My head aches.
I looked up from my book to see a brilliant blue sky, autumnal leaves of bright yellow were swaying slightly. Pretty, but it hurt my eyes.
I will try to drink two litres of water today. Its 2 minutes past nine and I already want to go home. Oh well, must sharpen up and get to work.
Well a few minutes on this blog won’t be too naughty and might even help me get my thoughts together.

Went out last night, saw Herman Dune.
Had a beer at the Ten Bells which was a smoky dingy affair.
>Also its where Jack the Ripper was meant to drink, and at least two of the girls he murdered drunk there regular like. There are lots of guided walks that you can do that show you the alleys the bodies were found in. Did you hear they have made a computer composite of his face?
Says he was five foot 6 which is the height I tell people I am, although I tried to measure myself earlier in the year to find I may actually be 5 foot 5 whoops.

L & I met up with TG and B and we made our way to the spitz. If you don’t know London the Spitalfields market is a large collection of stalls where you can find rugs, records, clothes, lamps, smoothies etc. And a small venue called Spitz. Also its close to brick lane.
>The church there was founded in something like 1110! That’s a long time ago. There use to be burnings of witches on the front landing. Lovely. I would like to see some of those dunking ponds in surrey sometime.

Any how, the spitz, the band was sitting downstairs having a meal, we read Vice and drank a beer. Amstel, that’ll be me. Then we went upstairs to be the first people in the place.

So Herman Dune has five members, and the two support artists are also in the band, so that’s cool- like a family. And the other members of the band came on to support them, which if you get your head around it means we watched three incarnations of the same band. For antifolk it was very folky. She was a tiny bit Joni Mitchell. Really nice sound though, but I wasn’t really in the mood for the solo bits so when the band came on with her it was a bit catchier. The audience kept “shh!ing” people which was a bit conceited, it added to the folkieness to it I guess, but I had the feeling if she picked up an electric guitar they would have yelled “judas!”
The second act was a kind of cross between bob Dylan and the guy no one talks about in turbonegro
He had a great sound.
Then the dune themselves came on- which we had already seen twice by now. The kids deigned to stand for these guys and suddenly you noticed how full the gig was. The singer has a massive beard and facial hair is so in right now, I have only been told yesterday that it is mo-vember so don’t have the time to grow my own for it damn. (I was actually about to write) The singer has a voice that reminds me of Antony and the Jonsons but with a sense of humour. I thought his voice also sounded like they had been touring for a while and straining. A cool gig all in all, and it reminded me I havent been to one for ages. (*forages?). It also met my new self imposed 10 pound limit on gigs. (L bought the tx though). I would give the gig 7 out of 10.
I had two more beers during this time.
Got out, and though I will omit the bits L enjoyed reminding me of this morning got home to find myself rolling drunk. Four beers!! The shame. But I have you know that is over 10 units of alcohol and its not “cool” to binge drink. So I vomited (!) L made me the tastiest beef roll ever and I snored my way into today.
I will put photos that L took of the gig up in the HeadRoom blog when I get them into flickr.



So other than that the Arsenal play Hamburg tonight at home. Which means tube chaos coming out of Holloway Road I guess. We have to win this tonight really and perhaps the draw to Newcastle will be more palatable if it means that it galvanises the team to destroy the Germans tonight. Although Gallas is out, centre back is a position we have covered. Both Djourou and Senderos are fit again and Hoyte scored for the England under 21s. So we could shuffle things a bit, but it is a shame about Gallas though, looks like he will miss the Chelsea game where his experience would have been good, and I would have put a pound on him scorring. We have Gilberto back in as well which will tighten us up a bit. Hamburg I read have only won 2 games this season and have loads of injuries but they do have a fit and scoring van der vaart in who I thought played brilliantly in the world cup.
My bets would be 2 nil Henry scoring the first goal, or a classic 1 nil Adebayor scoring.

Apologies if I spelt any names wrong and its time to publish this and get to work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much enjoyed foraging in your forest of fine phrases, keep making those words grow.

Anonymous said...

I think i need to get a job at your "work"

Anonymous said...

4 beers? oh dear.