Thursday, June 19, 2008

you have to heart where you live

London rocks. I mean if you are floundering around for something to blog about (AND LETS FACE IT- Telling you about my dinner is not going to get me an audience!) then all you have to do is grab your camera and hit the streets on any given evening. I suppose you have to be in the mood for it, but I went out last night with the lovely L. and everything was blog tastic.

We went to the Cy Twombly exhibition at the Tate Modern last night. We walked over, and then under Blackfriars Bridge and I noticed this frightening sign.


Defo bloggable, think about it for a second... why do you need a licence?
anyway, This is our first time to the tate since all of the art has appreared outside the gallery...


We hit the bar as soon as we got there, a nice bottle of wine and we even had a seat on the river side, which is usually packed.





The exhibition was quite something. The first few rooms I felt assaulted! It was like the vicous slashings of a maniac, the scribbles, the thick pastings of oil, the plaster of paris sculptings, really did not agree with me. I was getting more and more anxious, I felt myself being wound up tighter and tighter with every painting. thankfully, the curators calmed you down with room 3, which was two huge complimenting canvases. I really enjoyed the last two rooms, the penultimate was emerald greens smeered over cream painted wooden boards. I found it looked very Japense, like a bush covered river. And the last room was the famous shots that are on the literature for this exhibition.

Then we walked down the embankment, found a strange garden dedicated to NZ plants! There even was Pohutakawa trees! And this (not native but popular in NZ) Plant; the red hot poker.To give its scientific genus name.


And as we were kicked out of this park for drinking, we sat in the Trafalgar Square, which I think is one of the strangly romantic spots in the city. I took these two photos that I really like.

This fountain was apparently built to stop crowds gathering in too concentrated numbers when protesting, as some of the biggest English protests took place here.




and this is just a photo I liked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photographs and a great post. Love that you came across some NZ plant species too! It's always strange to come across something from 'home' in a foreign land. I often take myself off to the Botanical Gardens in Wellington for a fix of oak trees, daffodils and blue-bells.

As for me learning Maori? Not really - but it's surprising how much I've picked up over the years - especially now I'm a parent and my eldest child is at a Kiwi school. She comes home singing Maori songs and it's great!

Next step, I'll have to become a NZ Citizen and sing the anthem in Maori!

Mā te wā (see you later! - I had to look that up!),

Sarah