Friday, December 05, 2008

The Plath Play

Not enough poetry on this site is there? To be honest I havent really checked into poetry for some years, but the upcoming opening of the Plath Play "Three Women" has reminded me. This is the first airing of this in the UK for thirty years or something, and though you dont expect it to be "Mama Mia" its surely a good night out.

Herr God, Herr Lucifer
Beware
Beware.

Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.

Lady Lazarus by Sylvia Plath

Each virile bachelor dreads paralysis,
The old maid in the gable cries all day:
Never try to trick me with a kiss.
...
Sooner or later something goes amiss;
The singing birds pack up and fly away;
So never try to trick me with a kiss:
The dying man will scoff and scorn at this.

Never Try To Trick Me With A Kiss by Sylvia Plath

No comments: